England Matchup Terminated by Illness

The National Cricket Team for England had to revise their final day of testing after a significant illness swept over the team. Three players missed the opening matchup for the Invitational Practice XI against South Africa. Unfortunately, these players began displaying flu-like symptoms that got worse over 48 hours. It ended up affecting a large percentage of the squad, including Joe Denly. Two members in the coaching unit also received this illness, which forced the team to return home.

South Africa wasn’t concerned for their rivals, with them being the overall preferred to win. It would’ve been an intense contest, with England having to forfeit to the reigning champions. Fans began expressing their discontent against England’s National Cricketers, saying they were weak for not playing against South Africa. However, it’s unlikely that medical staff would’ve cleared these players for a competitive match.

The Coaching Staff

The announcement that this three-part series had to be terminated because of the flu will have upset the coaching staff. The Head Coach for England’s National Cricket Team was prized on winning all three of these warm-up matches. It would’ve been the best way to regain their reputation, which had dwindled significantly after losing to South Africa at the ICC Championship. These circumstances couldn’t be avoided and don’t display any weakness within their training camp, which is why the coaching staff hasn’t publicly spoken on these developments.

One of the most affected individuals with this sickness was Mark Wood, who isn’t expected to return until the upcoming 2020 season. The flu-illness acquired by Mark was worse than anyone else, with this assistant coach having to be hospitalized in South Africa. He cannot leave the country until this illness is classified as un-contagious. He would be deemed a flight risk otherwise.

Wildfire Stops Australian Cricket Match

Another surprising story hit cricket headlines worldwide when it was revealed that a matchup against Sydney and Adelaide was stopped. This stoppage came after significant wildfires, spanning more than 100 miles, began swarming into the area. Visibility began to dissipate at fast rates, forcing players to stop in their tracks or face injury. It didn’t take long for the oxygen to become poisoned by gasses and cause breathing concerns for players. Subsequently, fans and players were asked to leave the vicinity by local authorities. This marks the first time that a cricket matchup has had to be stopped by concerns over a wildfire.